Pro Tips: Best Way To Clean A Mouth Guard
A good ClearClub Mouth Guard can be your best friend if you suffer from Bruxism or play sports. An important part of investing in one of our custom mouth guards, is the simple process you should go through to clean your guard. If you have a dirty guard, you're giving the nasty mouth bacteria a chance to multiply.
In this post we'll cover the best way to clean a mouth guard (aka a sports guard) properly and effectively.
Maintain Good Oral Health with Regular Cleaning of Your Sports Mouth Guard
First things first, maintaining good oral hygiene goes beyond just brushing and flossing your teeth; it extends to keeping your sports mouth guard clean too! This is especially if true you want to maintain the many benefits of investing in and wearing a mouth guard. Here's why it's crucial:
- Preventing Mouth Guard Bacteria - Your mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria, and these microorganisms can quickly transfer onto your sports guard during use. Without regular cleaning, these bacteria can multiply, leading to oral health issues and bad odors.
- Prolonging Mouth Guard Lifespan - A well-maintained guard lasts longer, saving you money in the long run. Regular cleaning prevents damage as well as dental plaque. This ensures your custom sports guard remains in good condition for an extended period.
- Avoiding Irritation and Infections - Dirty mouth guards can irritate your gums and oral tissues, potentially causing infections and discomfort. Cleaning your mouth guard is vital to avoid these problems.
Best Way To Clean Mouth Guards [ 6 Easy Steps]
STEP #1: Rinse Immediately After Use
After removing your guard, rinse it with cool water. This helps remove saliva and oral debris before they have a chance to dry onto the surface. This initial rinse is essential to prevent the buildup of bacteria and odors.
STEP #2: Use a Soft Toothbrush
Gently brush your mouth guard using a soft toothbrush and a mild, non-abrasive toothpaste. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or hard-bristle brushes, as they can damage the material. The soft toothbrush ensures thorough cleaning without harming the guard's integrity.
STEP #3: Soak in Denture Cleaner
For a deeper clean, consider soaking your mouth guard in a denture cleaner or a specialized guard cleaning solution. Be sure to follow the product's instructions for the best results. Soaking helps eliminate stubborn stains and bacteria that brushing alone may not remove.
STEP #4:Rinse Thoroughly
After soaking, rinse your guard thoroughly with cold water to remove any remaining cleaning solution. Make sure there are no traces of toothpaste or cleaner left on it. A proper rinse ensures your mouth guard is safe to use and free from any residue.
STEP #5: Allow It to Air Dry
Place your mouth guard in a clean, dry container or case and leave it to air dry. Avoid using paper towels or cloth to dry it, as they may introduce bacteria. Allowing it to air dry ensures complete evaporation of moisture, keeping it hygienic.
STEP #6: Store Properly
Store your mouth guard in its dedicated case when not in use. Ensure the case is clean and dry to prevent any contamination. Proper storage maintains the guard's cleanliness and protects it from external factors that could compromise its hygiene.
Tips for Maintaining a Clean Mouth Guard
To keep your mouth guard in top-notch condition, consider these additional tips:
- Avoid Hot Water: Never use hot water to clean your guard, as it can warp or deform the material.
- Regular Inspection: Periodically inspect your mouth guard for any signs of wear and tear. If you notice any damage, consult your dentist for a replacement.
- Keep It Away from Pets: Keep your guard out of reach from pets, as they may mistake it for a chew toy.
- Replace Your Mouth Guard as Needed: Due to dental plaque that naturally builds up (even with the regular cleaning of your custom mouth guard) we at ClearClub recommend a replacement every few months or whenever you start to see signs of wear.
Don't Want To Visit The Dentist For A Custom Mouth Guard Replacement Every Few Months?
Cleaning your ClearClub Mouth Guard is a simple yet essential practice that not only helps maintain good oral hygiene but also extends the life of your mouth guard. By following these simple steps and tips, you can ensure that your mouth guard remains clean, odor-free, and ready to protect your smile.