Which Night Guard Thickness Is Right For You?
Just as every custom-fit dental night guard is unique as it is molded to match an individual's alignment and bite, every experience with bruxism is unique to that individual. As such, particularly when you're first starting treatment, knowing what's going to work for you isn't always crystal clear...
How Thick Are ClearClub's Night Guards?
ClearClub offers three thicknesses for our clear night guards: 1.3mm, 2mm and 3mm.
- 1.3mm Night Guard (also known as the thinner night guard): Preferred by those who experience light teeth grinding, as it isn't bulky – some say it's almost unnoticeable! – and doesn't disrupt their sleep.
- 2mm Night Guards: If you experience moderate teeth grinding our 2mm night guard is likely the best option for you! This size is our most popular size amongst the teeth grinders who order from ClearClub.
- 3mm Hybrid Night Guard: If you prefer a thicker night guard we can make yours at 3mm. This size is ClearClub's thickest-sized night guard. A thicker night guard, also known as a thicker mouth guard or hybrid night guard, offers additional cushioning + shock absorption, alleviating the strain on the jaw and reducing discomfort.
Personal preference can play a huge part in your ongoing comfort and ability to maintain a healthy routine of wearing your dental night guard on a regular basis. It is important, then, to consider both your own comfort as well as other factors when choosing the thickness of your night guard.
So what might dictate the choice between a thinner or thicker night guard to treat your bruxism? Here are some guidelines that might be helpful.
- The thinner the night guard, the less obvious it is for very frequent wear. If you plan to use your dental night guard all day as you work, exercise, commute and more, then the thinnest night guard available might be your best bet. You'll find it easier to speak naturally and have the same level of protection while you are going about your daily business. Remember, all of ClearClub's night guards are made of the same dental lab-quality hard acrylic, so regardless of the thickness they are designed to withstand the wear and tear of teeth grinding for some time.
- A thicker night guard may provide the feeling of better protection at night. If you have used some form of night guard before and are aware of what thickness suits you, as well, then a thicker night guard might work best for you. As is part of the danger of untreated bruxism, you really don't know just how much or how hard you are grinding while you are asleep so a thicker night guard, if you feel comfortable wearing it, may be something you'd prefer.
- Most importantly, however, be mindful of other conditions or habits. Do you also suffer from other nighttime conditions, such as sleep apnea? Or do you already experience restlessness at night that you are trying to get under control? In these cases, it's important to ensure that even if it feels like more protection, that a thicker night guard isn't actually disrupting your sleep and making the condition worse. In many cases, a thinner night guard will provide a more natural fit that encourages steady sleep patterns but of course, an individual's experience may be different.
- It's not always a case of getting more for what you pay for. A thicker night guard doesn't mean you're getting more protection necessarily, though it might feel as such. So long as you're able to sleep comfortably, it definitely might work for you, but as we've noted all ClearClub night guards are designed to last. And just in case you might want to replace your night guards somewhat frequently, we've got an option that is just right for you...
- Replacing your night guards for hygienic reasons is a great practice, even if your night guard is holding up to the grind. It is recommended that you replace your toothbrush every few months to avoid bacteria and plaque build-up, so doing the same for your dental night guard is just good hygiene. ClearClub offers the option to sign up for our subscription and receive a new night guard every three, four or six months, starting as low as $35. By the way if you do choose a thicker night guard and decide that the fit isn't right for you, we can replace it – just contact our support team!
ClearClub's custom-fit, low-cost night guards will help protect your teeth from grinding and clenching, and start as low as $95 for your first night guard. Plus, they are shipped directly to your door! Your teeth will thank you.